Tuesday, May 29, 2018

My High School Commencement Speech, and Other Wisdom

It'll be brief, which fact alone means it'll be the most wildly popular commencement speech in the history of commencement speeches. Here's the full text:

"As you go off to college, remember this one immutable truth: if it's on the internet, it lives forever."

I figure that bit of wisdom will save more kids from finding themselves unemployable in the future than anything they do or don't do in the classroom. I know that if cell phone cameras and the internet had been around when I was in college, I'd have a lot more to live down than I already do.

********************************

Those words would have served Roseanne Barr, huh? One stupid, ill-advised, insulting tweet, and she and her entire cast and crew are out of work. I've never been a fan of the woman herself, not since she made a mockery of the national anthem. But her show was at least funny, as was she, when she was acting and not being herself. Can't say that for oh, say, Joy Behar.

Speaking of Joyless Joy, she called Christianity a "mental illness" in mocking Vice President Pence for his faith. Why does she still have a job? Colin Kaepernick wore socks depicting police officers as pigs. Why does he - oh wait, he doesn't have a job. But that's due to his lack of talent, not his lack of taste. (Lack of talent hasn't affected Behar's employment status either. Hmm.)

********************************

Believe it or not, I have no issue with the fact that the Mueller "investigation" has gone on for more than a year now. I don't care how long it lasts in terms of time. However, since I'm paying for it, I do care very much how long it lasts in terms of expense. Mueller should have been given a fixed budget from the get, and when the money was exhausted, the investigation would officially be at an end. That would have kept him and his team on point, and maybe they wouldn't have cast such a wide net in terms of the individuals they targeted and the misdeeds they pursued them for.

In the end, the outcome will be the same as if the investigation had ended already. Except we taxpayers will be the poorer for it. Here's an idea: since it's our money funding these investigations, let us pick what and whom will be investigated. Bet that'd make Comey, Hillary et al a bit nervous.

********************************

Since the effective date of GDPR (look it up; it's the reason you've been bombarded with "we're making changes to our privacy policy" notices lately), Google has been popping this notice up every time I save a new post:

"European Union laws require you to give European Union visitors information about cookies used and data collected on your blog. In many cases, these laws also require you to obtain consent. 

As a courtesy, we have added a notice on your blog to explain Google's use of certain Blogger and Google cookies, including use of Google Analytics and AdSense cookies, and other data collected by Google. 

You are responsible for confirming this notice actually works for your blog, and that it displays. If you employ other cookies, for example by adding third party features, this notice may not work for you. If you include functionality from other providers there may be extra information collected from your users."


Okay. First, if you're an EU citizen and you're reading this blog, Bienvenue, Wilkommen, and all that. Please don't take offense to what I may have posted around the time of the Brexit. While I was all for the Brexit, and generally think the EU was a stupid idea, I do like all of your member nations, and have even visited a few. Heck, my favorite restaurant is a French restaurant. Okay, it's in California, but the owner is French. Well, he's American now, but he's from France.

Second, I don't use any cookies on my blog. I don't even eat cookies while writing my blog, just to play it safe and keep things above-board. And I don't collect any data from anybody who reads this blog, other than that I know who you are if you follow it and use your real name or some other name I can figure out.

But I won't tell anybody who you are. I promise.

There. My conscience is clear. And don't worry, I don't plan any changes to my privacy policy. Until the next stupid law gets passed halfway around the world that affects everybody who uses the internet or is in the banking business here in the U.S.

No comments: